Saturday, November 12, 2011

I haven’t blinked for days!







     I am brand new to the world that is Dr. Who.  I jumped in this year at the beginning of Christopher Eccleston’s tenure as the 9th Doctor (Thanks again Netflix) I am currently at the beginning of season 4 and enjoying David Tennant as the Doctor.  I love, love, love Dr. Who and look forward writing praise filled, lovey dovey, timey whimey posts about my favorite episodes, doctors, and companions.  However, before I can even comprehend writing anything of that nature, I need to get this off of my anxiety ridden chest.  This post is about the Dr. Who scare I never saw coming. 
  
     Now I have small inkling of what’s going to happen in future episodes, but I'm not a Time Lord (shucks) so I don’t know what’s going to happen when.  I was aware of the quotes “The Angels have the phone box” and “Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck” and I knew of weeping stone angels, but since I didn’t want to spoil episode plot lines I didn’t search into what those 3 things had in common (shoulda, coulda, didn’t, hindsight!)  Their commonality is that they are all in the episode Blink


SPOILER ALERT!
I am not about to give the whole plot away but I am going to go on about the villain of this episode.  You’ve been warned.  But really go watch this episode first, then you will truly understand the value of what I’m about to say. (What are you waiting for… go watch it already!!  (Geesh)


Boo hoo
      Okay, so you've seen it?  Good, on with the show.  Blink’s villains are the Weeping Angels, creatures that can only move when you're not looking at them (wait it gets better) When they are not being observed by someone, they can move very quickly and silently (Don’t ever blink!)  However when they are being observed they become “quantum-locked," occupying a single position in space.  In this state, they are frozen and indestructible.  If the Weeping Angels were to look at each other at the same time, they would be trapped in stone form forever. To prevent this, they usually cover their eyes when frozen, hence the appearance of a weeping angel.

  
    First let’s just get this out of the way, I don’t like movies or TV shows that have pop-out-scare-you, uber suspenseful moments.  It’s just not my bag.  I have my reasons.  They are three-fold.    1.) I prefer my blood pressure to stay at normal levels thank you.  2.) I am vulnerable to horribly graphic nightmares after watching that garbage, so in the interest of a good night’s sleep (well day’s sleep since I work 3rds) and my peace of mind (and probably my husbands) I choose to not watch.   3.) I really don’t want to waste time and money on a show where I am going to spend half my time in a hoodie of solitude.  (If that means I’m not going to the movies with you then so be it, have fun and we can do lunch tomorrow)

I'm gonna getcha!
   
DAMN YOU WEEPING ANGELS!!!!!  Who would have thought that it would only take several variations of some stone angels, a flickering light and suspenseful music to make my skin crawl?  I have never been this shook up over a TV show (especially one that tends to have some pretty cheesy effects).  One minute the angel has its hands covering its face, then someone walks through the frame and BOOM, the angel has moved its hands so that you are now staring at its angelic mug.  (I knew it was coming and yet…sigh)  
 
     

     There are moments in this episode where I found myself yelling at, 
I dare you to blink!
 begging for a character to turn around. Do you think they listened to me? (scoff)  The subtle changes in the angels’ position gave me the hibbie jibbies (yuck) There is a scene where a man has to stare at an angel while his cohort looks for a way out.  What are the odds that he doesn’t look away?  He knows he has to constantly watch them. (Please make sure your hoodie of solitude is in its upright and locked position) Of course, of course he turns his head for a just a second, a millisecond and OH SNAP  now you got an angel up close and personal, sporting a terrifying face! (Crap, crap, crap)
 
   

     It’s the combination of the close ups and the subtle changes that terrified me the most, well and the suspense of it all.  (Blink and you’re dead)  My “Come on man, for real?” moment was during the epilogue where there is a montage of stone statues being shown while the doctor is saying his “don’t blink” spcheal.  I mean what the heck?  I could barely handle 4 stone angles and now you want me to watch a 30 second clip of nothing but stone statues while the doctor tells me not to blink?  Oh man!?



     All in all this was a GREAT episode, one of my favorites in fact.  I don’t think I will be re-watching it anytime soon though. (Especially with the lights off, never with the lights off)  Fingers crossed that there won’t be any more Weeping Angel episodes, but I won’t hold my breath (and I won’t blink either) Allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment