Friday, December 9, 2011

What’s Christmas without a ham sandwich?

     Ok I know it’s been some time since I’ve posted anything, but hey, life’s been busy. I’m on winter break now and I can finally get some of these posts out of my head on onto the screen! This one is easy-peasy! I really enjoy cooking, however I lack the timing (nightshift) and the hungry mouths to feed (I make way more than Aaron and myself can eat) So I’m passing some of my favorite recipes on to you (including a story about the recipe added bonus, level up) Give me some feedback on how you liked it!



     My most cherished memories of Christmas time at Grandma and Bobbob’s are of my cousins, euchre, hoping Bobbob or Grandma wasn’t your partner (they yelled when you didn’t play your cards the way they thought you should have), the Polish/Chinese gift exchange, chocolate oranges, the blue lake, an M&M dispenser, making cookies with Grandma, the kids table (Damnit) our stockings, garfunkle, sledding with the cousins from the south, the small tv in the creepy doll room, and ham sandwiches. I am so lucky to be the oldest grandchild. There is about 20 years spanning between myself and the youngest cousin, so to be able to have these memories is such a blessing.


    Now of course a chocolate orange or a game of euchre can (and has) sparked nostalgia of holidays past, however, these sandwiches only made an appearance during the holidays. They are the Santa Claus of ham sandwiches and an Elchert holiday staple. Individually wrapped in foil, with or without olives, cheesy, hammy, goodness, served with a side of Ballreichs potato chips. My mom has a story of when she was little. after Grandma had made a batch of sandwiches to be frozen, mom would, in the middle of the night, sneak to the freezer and gnaw on a one. They are just that good!
     Well, Grandma’s been gone for 11 years now and my cousins are grown up and have memories to make with families of their own on Christmas(and who really wants to come to Tiffin for Christmas, I mean really?), so I'm grateful I have those times of Christmas' past of family, fun and ham sandwiches. These ham sandwiches take me back to simpler times of just being a kid at Grandma and Bobbob’s for the holidays, times which I miss dearly and hold close to my heart.

Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
1 lb. chipped ham
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
10 green olives chopped
1 small onion diced
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. mayo
hamburger buns
Foil
Mix all ingredients together well
Put mixture in buns
Wrap each bun in foil
Bake at 300 for 30 mins or freeze for later

2 comments:

  1. I wanna make these! Also I miss eating all the extra food from you and Aaron's dinners! :)

    ReplyDelete