Sunday, December 18, 2011

Oh Doctor, My Doctor!


“I don’t want to go” The emotional last words of David Tennant on the BBC TV series “Doctor. Who”.  I didn’t want you to go either Mr. Tennant, I didn’t want you to go either.


I have yet to immerse myself in the history of Who and all the regenerations that occur, but I will in due time (it’s all about time right?)  For now I just want to focus on the 10th doctor, slim and a little bit foxy number 10.  I knew this was coming.  I knew Matt Smith was headed my way.  That Tennant’s run would finish, that I’d be left with someone new, different and thoroughly not my doctor.  My doctor!   I wasn’t ready for this. I watched his series so quickly, probably too quickly.   The newness of Tennant was just wearing off!  He was just hitting his stride!  Tennant gave such a great performance as the Doctor.   He made such clever choices as how to portray this poor, lonely, traveling man from Gallifrey.  I was fascinated, captivated, and immersed in this show, his performance, the writing, everything.   I just wasn’t ready.  Every time my husband and I started to watch an episode, I’d sigh and groan about the nearing proximity of Tennant’s demise.  (I could hear the fat lady’s singing get louder with each episode)  While watching Tennant’s final moments there was nothing to do but sit there and enjoy his bittersweet performance. Yeah, yeah I cried a little (sniff) and unfortunately I moped about the house for longer than a grown woman should have.  (regenerating takes a lot out of you)

Trust us, we're the Doctor
 I guess I feel a bit like Rose did when Eccleston regenerated into Tennant. (yes I’m still aware that this is all make believe)   I have this sense of loss and great fondness for the Doctor who I knew, whose quirks and eccentricities are incredibly charming and unforgettable.  Now, instead of a familiar face of comfort on my TV, there’s this brand spankin new, hot off the TARDIS, freshly regenerated kid, on my TV and he’s not what I want.  (“Even then, even if I change, it feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away... and I'm dead.” I know right?!?!!?)  But that’s how it is in the world of regeneration.  I’m watching Matt Smith, and I’m looking for, hoping to see, praying that there is a piece or a sliver of him in there.  That maybe Smith just might let 10 pop up or that he might let an “Allons-y!” slip out.  But as we all know (or at least those who have watched the series) he isn’t there, not even a little bit.  Smith has a difficult job ahead of him and large red shoes to fill.  He has the potential, it’s there, but right now the Doctor seems off (yah, yah, he’s still cooking) and he’s not what I want (Ah yes, but we never get what we want, just what we need at the time) I still have a lot more episodes to watch, but I wonder will he hold up to all the hype I’ve heard about him as the Doctor. (Also I’m bad with hype, too much buildup = won’t watch it out of spite)




As good as the next Doctor may be, you never forget your first doctor.  Thank you Mr. Tennant for such a wonderful performance of character that will stay with me for a long time.   

Addendum – First I’m done moping, so that’s good.  Second, I’ve watched more Matt Smith episodes and he’s growing on me and I like his character choices as the Doctor so far.  Third, watch David Tennant’s video diaries on YouTube and you can see just how much of himself he put into his doctor (my doctor)

No comments:

Post a Comment